The building of the former City Hall
on Velké náměstí (Great Square) has undergone a number of stylistic reconstructions. Its Gothic cellars now evoke the time when the original house was established, however, there is no detailed information about when this was.
The first reference to the City Hall dates back to 1418. In 1588, the City Hall building was rebuilt and acquired a Renaissance appearance. At that time, a prison was established there. In 1696, a wooden clock turret was built on it.
In 1742, an architect named Fr. Kermer prepared the reconstruction of the City Hall. However, the new clock towers were not built until 1786 and put into operation in 1790, when the original turret was pulled down.
After a Late Classical reconstruction (1851-1852) carried out by an architect named Fr. Dobrkovský on the basis of plans by an architect named K. Wittmann, the building housed the chambers of the Land Court, the District Prosecuting Attorney’s Office and the Regional Chief Executive Officer’s Office.